Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls with double the browned butter, cinnamon and a tangy cream cheese frosting.
For the Dough
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup cold sweet potato puree
For the Filling
- 1 stick of butter (softened.)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
For the frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Make the Dough
- In a heavy bottomed pot melt the stick of butter over medium heat. Continue cooking until flecks of brown begin to collect on the bottom of the pot, and the butter smells “nutty”. Remove from the stove and cool the browned butter to 115ºThis should take about 10 to 15 minutes. Don’t let the butter cool too much, because the heat from the butter will activate the yeast.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir together the flour, sugar, yeast and kosher salt and baking soda until combined.
- Stir the cold sweet potato and milk in the pot with the slightly cooled butter. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir with spatula to create a shaggy dough.
- Fit the stand mixer with the dough hook and knead on low speed until smooth, about 20 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and place the dough in a warm spot about 70ºF to 75ºF for 90 minutes until the dough is puffy and has doubled in size.
Make the Filling
- In a small saucepan brown the butter over medium heat. Stir the butter frequently and remove from heat once the butter begins to brown and smells slightly nutty. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Assemble the Rolls
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with an aluminum foil sling by laying two long pieces of foil perpendicular to the pan, allowing the foil to hang over the sides. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour and roll the dough into a 13 inch square. Brush the brown butter evenly across the dough leaving a ½ inch border on the edges. Evenly sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on the dough. Taking care to make sure every inch of dough has filling. Roll the dough from the side closest to you in a tight cylinder. Press the dough at the end together creating a tight seam.
- Using a bench scraper cut the rolls into 12 pieces and place in the prepared pan. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Bake the Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350ºPull the cinnamon rolls out of the refrigerator and sit them on the counter while the oven is warming. Bake the rolls covered for 45 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes to reach desired brownness.
Make the Cream Cheese frosting
- While the cinnamon rolls are in oven, start the frosting. In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and salt until smooth.
Finish the Cinnamon Rolls
- Spread a half cup of the frosting on the rolls immediately after the rolls come out of the oven. Let the rolls cool slightly, for 10-15 minutes before adding the remainder of the frosting.