Famous La Farm Mini White Chocolate Baguettes
- 16 ounces white bread flour
- 1 .5 tsp fine sea salt
- 1.5 tsp instant yeast
- 11.25 ounces warm water ((65 to 70 degrees F) )
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- kitchen aid mixer with dough hook and paddle attachments
- pizza stone
- large stainless steel bowl
- food thermometer
- bench scraper
- parchment paper
- lame/ razor blade/ very sharp knife
- In a stand mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and yeast. Do not let the yeast and the salt touch.
- Check the temperature of your water to make sure it’s 65 to 70 degrees.
- Using the paddle attachment on the stand mixer, turn the mixer on the stir setting to whisk the dry ingredients together.
Then slowly add in the water and mix until a dough begins to form. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure all the dough is fully incorporated.
Switch out the paddle attachment for the dough hook and knead on medium speed for approximately 5 minutes.
- On a very lightly dusted work surface, flatten the dough into a rectangle and sprinkle the white chocolate evenly, then fold the dough over the chocolate pieces, like an envelope — lengthwise first, then fold the short side in– resulting in completely incorporated white chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into a ball by lifting the front and folding it over and pulling it across the counter top 4 or 5 times until a ball forms. It will be ready to proof when the the dough is no longer sticky to the touch.
- Lightly dust a large bowl with flour, place the dough ball in the bowl smooth side up and cover with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in a warm spot (75 to 85 degrees– like the inside of your microwave)
Let the dough rise for 1 hour, or until almost doubled in size
- Using your bowl scraper, remove the dough from the large bowl and onto a clean lightly floured countertop. Let the dough relax for a minute, and then use a bench scraper to stretch the dough into a 12 x 4 inch rectangle. Cut the dough with the bench scraper into 8 pieces.
- Shape mini loaves into a batard shape — reference the video linked above. Place the mini loaves on to a baking sheet with parchment paper, 4 loaves per sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Then set the baking sheets in a warm (75 to 80 degrees F) draft free place for 1 hour.
- 30 minutes into the second rise, place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F.
- Before baking, score the baguettes with a sharp razor blade; lame or knife, cutting the skin 1/4 inch into the dough. Slide 4 loaves on the parchment paper on to the pizza stone and cover with a large stainless steel bowl. Bake for 10 minutes then remove the bowl carefully, with oven mitts and the a large knife. Let the baguettes bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes
- Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 1 hour.