For the Madeleines
- 8 tbs unsalted butter (softened and cut into 8 pieces)
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbs whole milk (room temperature)
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup + 1 tbs. (101all purpose flour
- 1 tbs (9cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
For the lemon glaze:
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbs milk
- Zest of two lemons
Make the Madeleines:
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and sugar on high for 5 minutes. The mixture should be pale and have the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Pour in the milk, lemon zest and vanilla and whisk on low for another minute.
- Add the flour and softened butter to the mix and whisk on low for about 30-45 seconds. The batter should be smooth and creamy with a few bits of butter remaining. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Grease two nonstick madeleine pans with room temperature butter and place the pans in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Add a tablespoon of batter into each well of the madeleine pan, taking care to place the batter in the deep end of the well, it will spread.
- Bake for 10 minutes. The madeleines will be golden around the edges. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Make the lemon glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and lemon zest. If the glaze is not thin enough add another tablespoon of milk until you get the desired consistency.
- Place parchment paper under the cooling rack and then turn out the madeleines. Dip each madeleine into the glaze, letting the excess glaze drip onto the parchment paper for easy clean up. Allow the glaze to set before serving.