A classic southern lemon pound cake
For the pound cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 3 sticks of butter (room temperature)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Lemon zest from one lemon
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2– 3 tbsp Lemon juice
Prep the ingredients
- Take the butter, cream cheese and eggs out of the refrigerator and set on the counter for approximately 2 hours, or until room temperature.
Make the Cake
- Heat the oven to 300º F
- Spray two 9×5 loaf pans (or 1 bundt pawith cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese and butter for about a minute. Then stir in the sugar and increase the speed to medium-high (speed 6) for 3-5 minutes until the butter and sugar is light and fluffy, scraping the sides and bottom as necessary.
- Add in the eggs two at a time, letting the batter come together before repeating. Then add in the lemon extract, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- On the lowest speed, stir in the flour until just mixed. Scrape down the sides and bottom. Make sure the batter is completely mixed.
- Fill the prepared pans with the cake batter.
- Bake the cake until a toothpick comes out clean, 55 minutes loaf pan or 1 hour and 20 minutes for a tube pan. Let cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Glaze
- While the cake is cooling in the pan, make the glaze.
- Stir together the powdered sugar and lemon juice, adding lemon juice until you reach the desired consistency.
Finish the Cake
- Decorate the cake with the glaze.
Shortcuts for room temperature eggs, butter and cream cheese:
- Eggs. Put all of the eggs in a large measuring cup or bowl and cover with room temperature water. Set aside.
- Butter. Unwrap the butter and cut into roughly 2 tbsp pats and put on a plate. Set the plate on the stove while the oven is preheating. OR You can microwave in 5-7 increments. I tend to use the stove method more often because it’s really easy to microwave too much.
- Cream Cheese. Unwrap the cream cheese block and place it on a plate. Set the plate on the stove while the oven is preheating. Technically you can microwave cream cheese in 7-10 bursts. But like I said above, sometimes it’s too much.