Recipe by Jessamyn Waldman Rodriguez and the bakers of Hot Bread Kitchen
- 3 ripe bananas
- ½ granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ½ packed cup (dark brown sugar)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ Buttermilk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Walnuts (optional)
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275º F
- Line a 9×5 bread pan with parchment paper, then spray the pan with cooking spray. Set aside
- Puree the bananas in the food processor until smooth. Dump in both sugars, baking soda and salt and process until combined. Pour in the eggs, buttermilk and oil and process once more, until smooth.
- Pour the banana mixture into a large bowl and then add in the flour. Stir until smooth. If you’re using walnuts, fold those in last. If you’re using chocolate chips, fill the pan halfway and fold the chocolate chips in the remaining batter. This will help prevent the chips from sinking.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 2 to 2 ½ hours. THIS IS NOT A TYPO TWO HOURS IN THE OVEN.