Homemade graham crackers made with whole wheat and touch of honey.
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cold milk
- Preheat the oven to 325º F. Cut two sheets of parchment paper to fit two baking sheets.
- Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter, two forks or your hands until the texture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk and honey until the honey dissolves. Pour the milk and honey into the flour mixture and toss with a fork until a dough begins to develop.
- Press and fold the dough in the bowl 10-12 times until it becomes smooth. Divide the dough in half.
- Place one half of the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Roll the dough (on top of the parchment) into a rectangle roughly 10×14. The dough will be very thin around 1/16 inch. Trim the edges to create an even rectangle.
- Cut the dough into 16 rectangles using a pizza cutter. The crackers need bake together in one large sheet, so don’t separate the rectangles.
- Use a fork to prick the dough evenly to prevent irregular puffing.
- Slide the dough and parchment back on the baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until they reach a golden brown color.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet and then carefully break apart the rectangles.
- Graham crackers should be stored tightly wrapped in wax paper.