Classic Gingerbread Cookies, perfect for your holiday table.
Ingredients for the Cookies
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
Ingredients for the Frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 3/4 c. confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3–4 tbs. milk
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter until fluffy about 5 minutes. Add eggs and molasses and incorporate completely. Then add ginger, cloves and cinnamon.
- Incorporate the flour into the butter/sugar mixture, one third at a time, until the dough is formed.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Divide the dough into quarters and roll out on a well floured countertop. Roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Bake the cookies on a cookie sheet for 6-10 minutes. The time baking will depend on cookie size and your oven. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for an additional 2 minutes before transferring them to the wire rack.
For the frosting
- In a medium bowl, mix the room temperature butter with your mixer until it is smooth. Add vanilla, powdered sugar and milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach our desired thickness.
- Decorate! Using a piping bag create patterns or designs on the gingerbread cut outs and add M&Ms and sprinkles to finish.
This recipe makes a lot of cookies. Be prepared to share.
Spray a measuring cup with cooking spray before you measure out the molasses so that it pours out easily.