If a Chai Latte were a cookie, it would be this one. A sugar cookie spiced with chai spices for a warm and cozy addition to a cookie plate.
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ baking powder
- 1 tbsp chai spice mix
- 2 sticks (8oz) butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- In a medium bowl combine the all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and chai spice mix. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until blended completely.
- Turn the mixer off and pour in the flour mixture. Stir on low speed until the dough forms.
- Divide the dough in half , forming a disk on two pieces of plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour, up to 4 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Dust your workspace with flour and roll the cookie dough to desired thickness (see notes below). Cut out the cookies using your favorite cutters. Try to use cutter that are the same size for even baking.
- Bake until the cookies are lightly browned on the edges. (9-12 minutes) Rotate the cookie sheet halfway through baking.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Once the cookies are cooled, decorate using royal icing, melted chocolate, candy melts and/or sprinkles.
- Chill the dough for at least an hour. Patience is a virtue!
- Choose cookie cutters that are similar size to ensure even baking (smaller cookies may need to less time than large ones).
- Decide on preferred thickness of the cookies:
- thin cookies roll to 1/4 inch and bake for a shorter period of time
- thick cookies roll to 1/2 inch (or more) and bake a little longer