Thinly sliced carrots candied in pineapple juice and curled making a cool decoration for your next carrot cupcake.
2 large carrots
1 cup pineapple juice
½ cup granulated sugar
- Thinly peel 2 large carrots, aiming for at least 30 slices.
- In a large saucepan, bring the pineapple juice and the sugar to a boil. Add the carrots and boil for another minute before reducing the heat to a simmer. Let the carrots simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 225ºF
- Drain the liquid from the carrots and then carefully lay each carrot strip onto the parchment paper, making sure they don’t touch.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Once carrots are out of the oven it’s time to curl. Spray the ends of a pair of chopsticks, or end of a wooden spoon with cooking spray.
- Going slice by slice, wrap the carrot around the end of the chopstick. Wait 20- 30 seconds, then slide the carrot off the stick, keeping the curl intact. Return the curl to the cookie sheet. Repeat until all of the carrots are curled.