Devil’s Food Cake recipe adapted from the BraveTart Cookbook by Stella Parks
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups black coffee
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder (Cacao Barry Extra Brute)
- 1 ¼ cup finely chopped dark chocolate (at least 72%)
- 2 cups gently packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups all purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350º Prepare three 8 inch rounds with parchment paper and cooking spray. If you are making cupcakes, skip this step and set out cupcake lines in your muffin tins.
- Combine the butter and coffee in a 4 quart dutch oven and set over low heat. Once butter has melted, remove from heat.
- Whisk in the dutch process cocoa and dark chocolate, stirring until smooth. Then stir in the brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Mix in the eggs and egg yolks until completely combined. Sift in the flour, followed by the baking soda. Continue to whisk until the batter comes together.
- Divide the batter among the pans or cupcake tins.
- For round cakes: bake for about 30 minutes.
- For cupcakes: bake for 20-22 minutes.
- To check the cake insert a toothpick or wooden skewer in the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out with a few crumbs attached, the cake is done. You can also use an instant read thermometer — the cake is done when the center reaches 210ºF.
- Cool the cake completely before frosting. This should take at least 90 minutes.
- Decorate with your favorite frosting.