Chocolate and Peppermint are my all time favorite flavor combo. If it’s an option, I am going to choose it– birthday cakes, mint chip ice cream (the green kind only) , that peppermint chip milkshake at Chick-fil-A.
This cookie recipe is very quick to whip together. No chilling required. It also calls for double the chocolate and double the peppermint.
This recipe uses two types of chocolate: cocoa powder and chocolate chips. I used natural cocoa powder– if you want to use dutch process, reduce the amount slightly.
As I mentioned above– I love peppermint, so I put peppermint extract and crushed peppermint in the dough. But I will admit– there is a sweet spot between there being just enough peppermint and it becoming overwhelming. Adjust according to your preferences.
How to make Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
Whisk the dry ingredients together. Then you cream the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes until it’s light and fluffy. Add in the egg and extracts, stir some more. Then add in the flour and stir to combine.
Pour in half of the crushed candy canes and the chocolate chips and stir one last time.
Drop the dough by tablespoons (or with a cookie scoop) onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment. And then sprinkle some more crushed peppermint on top.
The best part: absolutely no chilling required. You can bake the Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies from start to finish in under 30 minutes. Now you can’t say I never made an easy cookie 🙂
A quick no-chill cookie filled with two types of chocolate and all of peppermint goodness.
2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoons salt
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
5 candy canes, crushed (reserve half)
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer) cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Then add in the vanilla and peppermint extract and the egg. Stir until combined.
- Pour in the flour mixture and stir until a dough forms and no visible flour remains.
- Fold in the ⅔ of the crushed peppermint (the rest will go on top of the cookies) and the chocolate chips making sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons (or use a cookie scoop) onto the cookie sheet. Use a heavy bottomed glass to press the cookies flat. Sprinkle each cookie with remaining crushed peppermint.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are set. Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Keywords: cookies, peppermint chocolate chip