One bowl cornbread recipe baked in a cast-iron skillet to give it a nice crispy crust.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbs. honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs. butter/margarine
- Place Cast Iron Skillet in a cold oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
*If you tend to be accident prone, just preheat the oven and see steps below.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the butter with a wooden spoon.
- *accident prone instructions: warm the cast iron skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in the hot cast iron skillet, making sure that the butter coats the entire pan (sides and bottom). Take care to not burn yourself.
- Pour the cornbread mixture in the cast iron skillet and using potholders, put the skillet in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe fits in a 9 inch cast iron skillet that is 1 1/2 inches deep. If your skillet is larger or deeper, please double the recipe.