A classic cinnamon roll made with an enriched dough, brown butter filling and cream cheese icing.
For the Dough
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsps sea salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 ¼ tsp instant yeast
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 12 tbsps unsalted butter (cut into 12 pieces and softened)
For the Filling
- 5 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsps cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
For the glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Make the Dough
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir together the flour, cornstarch, sugar and sea salt.
- In a small saucepan warm the whole milk to 110 degrees F. Pour the warmed milk into a measuring cup and stir in the instant yeast until it dissolves. Then beat in the eggs.
- Turn the stand mixer on the lowest setting and slowly pour the milk mixture into the flour. Increase the speed by 1 and stir until a dough comes together. Add the softened butter a piece at a time, mixing until each piece is incorporated before adding the next piece. Knead the dough on a medium speed for about 10 minutes, or until the dough comes away from the bowl.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. On a clean work surface scrape the dough out of the mixing bowl and shape into a ball by folding each corner into the middle and pressing the dough down in the center. Place the dough ball, seam side down in the greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place the dough in a warm spot (75 to 80 degrees) to rise for 2 hours or until it doubles in size.
Make the Filling
- In a small saucepan brown the butter over medium heat. Stir the butter frequently and remove from heat once the butter begins to brown and smells slightly nutty. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
Assemble the Rolls
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with an aluminum foil sling by laying two long pieces of foil perpendicular to the pan, allowing the foil to hang over the sides. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour and roll the dough into a 18-inch square. Brush the brown butter evenly across the dough leaving a ½ inch border on the edges. Evenly sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on the dough. Taking care to make sure every inch of dough has filling. Roll the dough from the side closest to you in a tight cylinder. Press the dough at the end together creating a tight seam.
- Using a bench scraper cut the rolls into 15 1 ½ inch pieces and place in the prepared pan. Cover the pan with plastic wrap* and let the dough rise for 1 hour or until the rolls are doubled in size.
Make the Glaze
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and salt until smooth.
Bake the Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the rolls for 35- 40 minutes or until the edges are browned. Spread a half cup of the glaze on the rolls immediately after the rolls come out of the oven. Let the rolls cool slightly, for 10-15 minutes before adding the remainder of the glaze.
- After cutting the rolls, cover with plastic wrap and set in refrigerator overnight. When you are ready to make them let the rolls sit on the counter at room temperature for 1 hour. Then follow the remaining instructions.