Homemade apple cider doughnuts filled with cinnamon, spice and everything nice.
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ½ tsp cinnamon, divided
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 5tbs melted butter
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil
- In a medium saucepan bring apple cider to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cider reduce down to 1 cup, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl stir together 1 cup of granulated sugar and 2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg.
- With the mixer running on low speed, pour in the apple cider, melted butter and 2 eggs. Mix until completely combined. The dough will be very sticky.
- Scrape the dough into a smaller container with a lid and refrigerate for at least one hour. The longer the better.
- Spray your work surface with cooking spray and heavily dust the work surface with flour. Turn out half the dough on the counter top. Put the remaining dough back in the refrigerator. If the dough still feels very sticky sprinkle the top with flour and knead it a couple of times to incorporate the flour. If that doesn’t work, pat the dough into a disk and wrap the dough in plastic wrap and freeze for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fix a heavy bottom pot with a candy thermometer and fill with 2-3 inches of oil. Heat the oil to 375ºF.
- Gently roll the dough out into ¾ inch thickness and cut out using a 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter.
- Carefully drop the doughnuts into the oil. They will initially sink to the bottom of the pot, but will float to the top after a few seconds. Allow the doughnuts to cook on each side for 75 seconds, before flipping for another 75 seconds. Remove from the oil and place briefly on a wire rack. While the doughnut is still warm, dip it in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat the entire doughnut.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: Apple Cider Doughnuts